The Best Way to Teach ESL Without a Degree
No degree? No problem!
So you want to teach ESL abroad and you’ve seen a lot of opportunities that require a Bachelor’s degree…but you don’t have one! Most of the time countries require a degree because of Visa restrictions (such as Korea and China), however, for other countries, it is more of a professional standard. So if you’re looking for a job but you don’t have a degree what’s the best way to teach ESL without a degree? Apply for an INTERNSHIP! There are a lot of great internships programs that you can apply for to help you get started in the country you want to work in! Although you have to pay for the internship, I think in the long run the rewards far out way the initial payment. If you don’t have a degree and are going to register for an online TEFL course, why not just pay the extra money for a Profesional high-level 240hr TEFL course, with a teaching practicum included?
Why Apply for a Paid internship?
As a teacher without a degree, it is going to be important to make up for this in other ways to build your resume and come across as a professional and experienced TEFL teacher. Taking an internship not only gets you TEFL certified, it allows you to get in-class experience and it also helps you get into the country that you want to teach in and pays you for it! Yes, folks, you will get a stipend for teaching during your internship, which will help, in most cases, to cover your cost of living. You can get extensive TEFL training, experience teaching in-class to build your resume, and the opportunity to live in the country and make contacts and connections for your future job!
TEFL Internships are the best and legitimate way to get your foot in the door as a professional TEFL teacher without a degree!TEFL Internships are the best and legitimate way to get your foot in the door as a professional TEFL teacher without a degree! Click To Tweet
Who is eligible to register for a Paid Internship program?
- Non-native speakers looking to teach English abroad
- Teachers without a Bachelor’s degree
- Teachers who need to get TEFL certified
- Teachers who may want to work in countries where it is difficult to get a job without being in-country or having connections with the local community (Europe, Thailand, South America)
- Teachers who are having a hard time getting a Teaching job from their home country (due to skills, experience, lack of degree, non-native status)
The biggest benefit to applying for an internship is that you can look for a job IN COUNTRY! This gives you an added benefit to other teachers who have to trust their job offer. Participating in an internship allows you to experience the country and make contacts and interview face-to-face. You have a better understanding of what jobs are available, what jobs are good and have a connection to the community you will be working in!
Other benefits include:
- 240-hr High-level MASTER TEFL certification courses
- You get in-class teaching experience to help build your resume
- You have help and support from a legitimate company while you’re abroad
- You can do internships in countries where it is difficult to get a job (such as Europe or South America)
- You get to experience living and working in the country before committing to a long-term contract
- You can make connections with the expat and local community
- You can interview for potential jobs in the country! You can see the facility and meet the people you will be working with to avoid ending up in a job you don’t like
Basically, internships set you up to be able to get a good job and find out about the working environment. This is the ideal situation for choosing a job as you can be in the physical location rather than interviewing through skype.
Internships vary from each country but in general, you can expect the following:
- A contract from 2 -12 months
- 240 hour TEFL training program
- Monthly allowance
- Accommodation support
- Airport pick up and transfer
- Cultural activities including language and cooking classes
- Ongoing support in the country
- Assistance securing a Visa
For internship opportunities all over the world Check Out TEFL Internships
If you have any questions about teaching or living abroad please reach out to me it is my goal to help you make the best decisions to have the best experience living and teaching abroad! You can contact me on my contact page HERE. OR you can always contact and follow me on Facebook for daily updates on teaching positions, teaching resources and tips and advice for living abroad.
Pint it for Later
For more information on teaching English abroad sign up for my FREE Decide to Teach Abroad Series! Because….well…IT’S FREE!!
*There are affiliate links in this post for more information please go here