Teach ESL Online
Teaching ESL Online has become a booming business over the years as the need to learn English continues to grow internationally. I myself taught online when I first went back to Canada in 2011 to supplement my income while I looked for a company teaching job. However, the online job market has changed over the years and there are now a number of different options to teach ESL online. You can make it a full-time career so you can work from home or travel the world, or have part-time work as a “side hustle” or supplement your income. For more information on the benefits of teaching online and what it entails check out my post How to teach English Online.
After writing the post outlining how you can teach ESL online, I got a lot of questions about specific companies. So I sat down and did some serious research and have compiled a cheat sheet fo you to compare the different companies and choose the best company for your needs!
Professional Certification – Why you should get it!
Now before I launch into the list, there are a lot of online ESL companies out there with different requirements, schedules, and pay scale. My advice is to get an accredited English language certification which you can do easily, online for a reasonable price. Of course, this is your choice as some companies will hire teachers without it but hear me out.
Completing a 120 hour online TEFL course will:
- Open up more job opportunities for you as a lot of companies will be more willing to hire you with a certification
- It will increase your pay as most companies pay based on education and experience.
- It will make you a better teacher and ensure a long-term position with a good company (happy students = more classes and more money). The better teacher you are the better you will do in this business!
There are a lot of online courses out there so if you want to register with an accredited company sug up with ITTT TEFL for an online TEFL course and you will get 15% off your course!
(This is an affiliate link, for more information go to the Disclosure Policy)
The Cheat Sheet of Online ESL Companies
Once you have completed your online English accreditation course you can start to teach ESL Online right away! What is great about this company cheat sheet is that it lists companies with different schedules, expectations and requirements to teach ESL online. You can choose the company that suits you best based on your experience, schedule, and personal goals!
I’ve divided the list into 4 sections:
- Companies that teach children
- Companies that children and adults
- Companies that teach adults
- Websites and Apps for independent tutors to teach ESL online
Companies That Teach Children
- Job Details: DADA English is a well-established company for teaching one-to-one online classes with Chinese children from 4 – 16 years of age
- Main Requirements: English native speaker and a Bachelor’s degree.
- Schedule and Hours: You can work up to 15 hours a week, however, I think they offer more hours if requested. It will be a contract position for either 6 or 12 months. Most job advertisements are for part-time work. Peak working hours are (GMT+8, Beijing time 9:30 – 21:00)
- Salary: $16 – 25 an hour depending on education and experience
Apply online HERE
- Job Details: Teaching 1- 6 Chinese children in a classroom for 30-minute classes. Located out of China.
- Main Requirements: Teachers from Canada or the US, Bachelor’s Degree (however they will consider teachers without a degree with experience), experience Teaching.
- Schedule and Hours: a set schedule that is provided and filled by the school. They offer a part-time contract with the flexibility to work from 7– 19 hours per week. The hours are limited but the staff is very flexible and understanding. Available times are 5:40am-8:10am M-Sun and 7:40pm-10:50-pm on Friday and Saturday EST
- Salary: $16 – 20 an hour depending on education and experience
Apply online HERE
- Job Details: One on one lessons with Chinese students from 4 – 16 years and is based out of Beijing. Classes are 30 minutes in total.
- Main Requirements: Native speaker from Canada or the USA with a Bachelor’s Degree
- Schedule and Hours: The teaching hours are part-time and flexible and you can make your own schedule. You have to enter your availability 1 month in advance and they recommend at least teaching 7.5 hours a week (that’s about 15-time slots at 3- minutes per week). Hours are based on Beijing time zone working hours. You are required to sign a 6-month contract, however, you can take time off with 2 weeks’ notice.
- Salary: $7-9 is minimum pay per 30 minutes ($16 – 20 an hour) and incentives are included
Register online HERE
- Job Details: There is a wide range of students, however, the major range is between 4 and 12 years old. You will teach 1-1 and group classes depending on what is assigned to you. The company also provides free training sessions for teachers.
- Main Requirements: Are not specified, I would say Native level, bachelor’s degree or Language teaching Certificate.
- Schedule and Hours: 25 minute classes with a set schedule. You choose your hours and the company fills them accordingly.
- Salary: based on the number of classes and performance.
Apply online HERE
- Job Details: This company is an online language academy for kids teaching children one-to-one. Languages that are taught include Mandarin, English, Spanish, and French.
- Main Requirements: A native or near-native level of English, Mandarin, Spanish, French, or German, a minimum of two years of experience working full time with children and a certificate or degree in teaching languages, including the VOLT-YL certificate.
- Schedule and hours: Must commit to at least 4 days of availability per week
- Salary: No mention
Apply Online HERE
Companies that teach Kids and Adults
- Job Details: The company is located in Nanjing China and has students book directly with the teachers. You can teach children and adults (or request for one or the other)
- Main Requirements: The job postings state that teachers need to have an excellent command of the English language, which leaves it open to non-native speakers with a high level of fluency, and an English teaching certificate would be an asset.
- Schedule and Hours: The hours of operation are 7 days a week from 5:00am to 11:00 am (USA EST). Teachers need to be available at least 3 days a week to teach for 4 – 6 50 minute lessons per day.
- Salary: $9 -12usd per hour and it tops out at $15.
Apply online here: HERE
TutorABC / Itutor Group
- Job details: The majority of our students are professionals from the ages of 22-65., based out of Taiwan. They also have a junior brand with students from 6 – 18 years old.
- Main Requirements: They hire non-native speakers with English proficiency, requires TESOL (or willingness to get it), 1-year teaching experience, bachelor’s degree.
- Schedule and Hours: can work part time or full time (up to 30 hours per week) with opportunities for growth in the Company. They are open 24 hours a day.
- Salary: Pay is based on country rates and experience
Apply online through ITutor Group HERE
- Job Details: Teach 17-minute classes to Chinese students through an online software such as Skype. Students vary from young ages to professionals.
- Main Requirements: To be hired you need to pass their interview and training.
- Schedule and hours: the school is open from 6:00am – 12:00 midnight, seven days a week. Teachers can have their eight-hour shifts within any of the company’s working hours and can decide whether to work for five or six days each week.
- Salary: the basic rate is P12, 000.00 monthly for working full-time workers and changes based on education and experience.
Apply online HERE
Online Companies for Teaching Adults
- Job Details: Teachers provide English lessons to students from Japan, Taiwan, and other parts of the world via Skype. One lesson is 25 minutes long and materials are provided for you with training.
- Main Requirements: At least 18 years old and fluent in English.Certificate of Proficiency in English is a plus (TOEIC, IELTS, TOEFL).
- Schedule and hours: Open 24 hours so you can teach anytime and make your own schedule. You can also choose to work full time or part time, but can only work with them (no other online teaching companies)
- Salary: No information, will be discussed after the interview.
Apply Online HERE
- Job Details: Teaching adult students for 45-minute classes using a set company curriculum, based out of Vietnam
- Main Requirements: Hires non-native teachers (There is an application specifically for Filipino teachers) and requires a degree or TEFL TESOL or CELTA Certificate.
- Schedule and Hours: You can set your own hours and there is no limit to teaching hours. You manage your own schedule on a weekly basis. There are 16 classes each day, which last from 8AM to 11PM (GMT+7).
- Salary: Pay is $13-15 per hour.
Apply online HERE
- Job Details: A Spanish Company for learning languages online. For native and non-native speakers to teach languages including English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian.
- Main Requirements – TEFL / TESOL Degree, language teaching certification, proficiency in the language taught, 2 years teaching experience.
- Schedule and hours: You will need to commit to a fixed schedule for a minimum of one year. A minimum of 10 hours per week of fixed availability during our prime times: 06:00 -9:00 / 12:00 – 15:00 / 17:00 – 20:00 / 22:00 – 01:00 (UTC/GMT)
- Salary: $10 – $12 per hour
Apply online: HERE
- Job Details: this is an online tutoring platform where students learning English and can log on and call a teacher to practice their conversational skills.
- Main Requirements: no experience necessary just good conversational skills and grasp of English. The website doesn’t specify that you need to be native, however when you sign up there is a checkbox for native speaker.
- Schedule and hours: Extremely flexible! Anytime you’re free to sign up for shifts and make yourself available for students to call you. You simply have a chat session with them for as little or as long as the student wants.
- Salary: You are paid $0.17 per minute which means you could potentially make $10.20 for a full hour conversation.
Sign up HERE
Online Tutoring websites and apps
This is a bit of a different method to teach ESL online. These are language learning websites and apps where teachers can register and create a profile. Adult students register on the app and choose the teacher from that profile. This option is a little more “independent” than applying to a company.
Positives: Good for native and non-native teachers! You will be mostly be teaching adults. There usually isn’t an interview process. You set your own schedule and pay and basically do it whenever you have time. No commitment no hassle!
Negatives: High competition of online tutors, no guaranteed hours, you really need to market yourself, and there are no scheduled students.
For these sites, you can simply go to the websites to apply and look at what other teachers are posting for rates based on experience.
Go through the list and choose the job that is perfect for you! Make sure to really think about what you want from the job and how much you are able to commit. That way you can make a better decision about where you want to apply. Also, take into consideration the requirements of the company. I would definitely suggest doing an English certification as it will provide you with more opportunities and a more professional resume.
To get more information about online teaching opportunities, teaching ESL / EFL, or traveling and working abroad follow me on Facebook . I am always posting new and interesting job opportunities and information about working and traveling abroad. You can also find jobs to teach ESL online.
Have you had experience with any of these companies or have other companies to add to the list? Please comment on the post.
If you have any questions about teaching English or starting your career abroad reach out to me on any of my social media platforms I am happy to share my experience and advice to help you get started!